What is a traffic barricade?
A traffic barricade is a portable or fixed device having from one to three rails with appropriate markings and is used to control road users by closing, restricting, or delineating all or a portion of the right-of-way.
What is a Type 1 Barricade?
Type 1 traffic barricades are often used to direct traffic around construction sites, road closures, or other hazardous areas. They are an important safety feature on roads and highways and are designed to protect both drivers and pedestrians. Type I Barricades may be used on conventional roads or urban streets. It has one reflective panel. A second non-reflective rail may be added to help give it a more stable base of support.
What is a Type 2 Barricade?
Type II Barricades should be used on freeways and expressways or other high-speed roadways. Type II has two reflective panels. Type 2 traffic barricades are often used on lower-speed roads, streets, or parking lots to direct traffic around hazards, construction zones, or other areas that require traffic control. They are an important safety feature on roads and highways and are designed to protect both drivers and pedestrians. A type 2 traffic barricade is typically used on low-volume roads and streets but can be used on freeways and expressways or other high-speed roadways.
What is a Type 3 Barricade?
Type III Barricades used at a road closure may be placed completely across a roadway or from curb to curb. Type III has three reflective panels. Type 3 traffic barricades are often used to block off entire lanes or sections of highways for roadwork, emergency situations, or other hazards. They are an important safety feature on roads and highways and are designed to protect both drivers and pedestrians. A Type 3 traffic barricade is a specific type of barricade used for traffic control and safety, typically on highways or high-speed roads.
What is a Directional Indicator Barricade?
A Directional Indicator Barricade is typically a Type 1 or Type 2 barricade that has a One-Direction Arrow sign mounted on it. They are often used to guide traffic around construction sites, road closures, or other areas where traffic flow needs to be directed in a specific direction. A Directional Indicator Barricade may be used in tapers, transitions, and other areas where specific directional guidance is needed.
What are some of the general characteristics of Traffic Barricades?
Some of the general characteristics of Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3 traffic barricades include:
- Height: A Type 1 and Type 2 barricade must be at least 36 inches tall. This height is necessary to ensure visibility and prevent vehicles from passing over the barricade. A type 3 barricade should be a minimum height of 60 inches.
- Width: A Type 1 and Type 2 should be at least 24 inches wide. This provides enough surface area for reflective material to be attached for visibility at night. A type 3 barricade should be a minimum width of 48 inches.
- Reflectivity: The barricade must have reflective sheeting or tape on both sides to increase visibility, especially at night. Barricades that are used on highways and freeways should have a minimum forward-facing reflective surface of 270 square inches. Reflective stripes at least 6 inches in width and sloping or angling downward at a 45-degree angle.
- Stability: Barricades should be designed to be stable and resist being knocked over by passing vehicles or strong winds. They usually have a wide base and may be filled with sand or water to add weight.
- Color: The barricade should be painted with bright, highly visible colors such as orange or yellow to increase visibility during daytime hours.
- Signage: The barricade may have signs or marking indicating its purpose, such as “ROAD CLOSED” or “DETOUR AHEAD.”
- Style: The most common style of Type 1 and Type @ barricades is that of folding barricades. Typically Type 3 Barricades are non-folding and rigid.
- Please Note – These general characteristics reflect the federal standards. Each state may alter these for local use.
Where can you buy Type 1 Traffic Barricades?
You can buy your Type 1 folding barricade from Flex-Safe USA today.